There’s no place like Clarke County for those wanting a slice of the good life that smacks of a rich and diverse cultural scene and wonderful outdoor attractions. It’s the perfect melting pot for foodies, music lovers, art aficionados or even college football fanatics. The county also prides itself in preserving and celebrating its history. This is why it is of no surprise that Clarke County has been named in several high-profile lists like the Forbes’ 2017 Best Places to Retire and GQ’s 2014 Best College Towns.
Clarke County is part of the Athens-Clarke County’s unified government which includes the cities of Athens and Winterville. It is also the second consolidated government in Georgia.
The Athens-Clarke County Leisure Services is in charge of maintaining over 2,000 acres of parks and facilities in the community. These parks include the Memorial Park, Southeast Clarke Park, Sandy Creek Park, Ben Burton Park, Bishop Park, and Satterfield Park, to name a few.
The parks in the community have a range of amenities such as:
- Trails and open spaces
- Picnic shelters
- Horse trails
There are also a number of sporting facilities like:
- Basketball courts (both indoor and outdoor)
- Baseball fields
- Multi-purpose fields
- Soccer fields
- Softball fields
- Tennis courts
- Volleyball courts
The community also provides great libraries and resource rooms. For a full list of amenities check out their website here.
Schools and universities
Clarke County is part of the Clarke County School District and has 13 elementary schools, four middle schools, and three high schools. There is also a number of private K-12 schools in the community.
Also a prominent college community, Clarke County has some notable universities and colleges such as:
- University of Georgia
- Georgia Health Sciences University/ University of Georgia Medical Partnership
- Athens Area Technical College
- Piedmont College – Athens Campus
Things to do
Clarke County’s energetic vibe reflects in the various attractions it has for residents and visitors alike. Choose from beautiful outdoor spaces, fun family attractions, and a dynamic nightlife – the things to do here are endless.
- Go to the beach at Sandy Creek Park and catch some waves. You can also cook some burgers and hotdogs at one of the public grills near the beach.
- Up for crazy stunts on wheels? Then head over to the Southeast Clarke Park. Its main features are the numerous bowls and ramps, grinding edges, rails, steps, and other cool stuff that any extreme biker or skateboarder will approve of.
- Shop ‘till you drop at the Georgia Square Mall, Empire South Athens, and other great shopping centers found in the area.
- Grab some drinks after a long day at work at bars like the 40 Watt Club, Manhattan Bar, Hi-Lo Lounge, and more.
Real estate options
Clarke County has plenty of real estate choices to match a variety of lifestyles. Most single family homes here have one to two stories with three beds and two baths. The most popular architectural styles are colonial, Georgian, craftsman, and ranch. The homes also come in a range of prices from simple fixer-uppers to beautiful luxury abodes.
You can also find a number of available townhouses, condos, and land. The community’s wonderful amenities and friendly southern atmosphere make it one of the most ideal places to live in.
For more information about Clarke County and your real estate options in the area, give us at the Lauderdale Morrow Realty Group a call at 706-534-2289. You can also send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.